Sunday, June 19, 2011

Weekly Entry 2: 4D films and cinema.

At first glance, I thought that 4D is an upgrade to 3D which allows multi-projection of footages around the cinema hall, truly I was wrong. 4D is a marketing term that combines 3D-films with physical experience that allows us to immerse ourselves in the portrayed environment. It works by stimulating our physical senses to create the presence of the viewer actually being in the story, which in other words, a great portrayal of virtual reality. Rain, wind blow, sun shafts, strobe lights and camera/character motion can be implemented in physical form. Motions are generated by the audience theatre seating, whilst synchronizing with the camera action in the film. The basic 3D-glasses is still needed however.


This photo here is an example of how 4D cinemas are.



I myself had never been in a 4D theatre, though I hope one day I'll be experiencing one. In years to come, I'm pretty sure 4D will be a thing of hype amongst us. Even better, they may come with holograms.

*Image source

No comments:

Post a Comment